National Women in Construction Week takes place from March 1-7, 2020 and is a holiday dedicated to challenging career stereotypes and promoting women in the construction industry.
WIC Week is a very important annual date for the National Association of Women in Construction (NAWIC), a group of women who founded the occasion in 1953 to help create a support network for other women in the industry.
The holiday helps both NAWIC and us - the Women in Construction World Series - to advance our shared mission to strengthen and amplify the women in the construction industry.
It also coincides with International Women's Day (IWD) which takes place just after, on March 8, 2020. The theme of this year's campaign is 'Each for Equal', motivating people to help forge a gender-equal world.
There are numerous ways to get involved with WIC Week, and over 100 local US chapters observe the occasion with activities such as community service projects, job-site tours, membership drives, hands-on workshops, fundraisers and school or childrens' programs.
Here is a list of ways you can celebrate WIC Week 2020:
- Volunteer at local schools to encourage young women to seek construction opportunities.
- Give a workshop teaching young women some practical industry skills.
- Write a blog piece about your thoughts on the construction industry, perhaps featuring statistics or experiences on the lack of gender parity. For instance, we created an article showcasing what women love about working in the construction industry.
- Highlight female construction workers in your company with a profile on your website or on an external publication.
- Give a tour of your organization and site, tailored to female construction workers and busting myths.
- Lead a discussion at your organization talking about WIC Week, IWD, and the need to build a diverse and inclusive workforce.
- Listen to some female-led women in construction podcasts or learn from key industry resources.
- Share your experiences of being a female construction worker on your social channels with the hashtag #WomeninConstructionWeek. You can even tag us @womeninconstructionworldseries for a chance to be featured.
- Get a group together to attend a women's professional networking, learning and empowerment event - Women in Construction USA 2020!
Join the movement
Women in Construction USA will be taking place on September 22-23, 2020 at the Santa Clara Convention Center. Join us for two exciting days of thought-provoking insights from industry leaders, invaluable skill-building and networking opportunities, that will help to empower women in the construction industry and create a more gender-equal workforce.
To further celebrate the achievements of female construction trailblazers, we're delighted to offer you a 15% discount on pass prices for a limited time only. Simply use the code WICW15 at the checkout by 11:59pm PST on Monday, March 9, 2020. Book now to avoid disappointment!
Follow the Women in Construction World Series on social media: